The W3C Credentials Community Group

Meeting Transcriptions and Audio Recordings (2014-today)

Go Back

VC for Education Task Force

Transcript for 2023-01-09

<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> Happy New Year VC EDUers !
<julie_keane> Yes
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> :+1:
Our Robot Overlords are scribing.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Haha there's a CD box.
<julie_keane> Happy New Year all!
<sharon_leu> Happy New Year!
Our Robot Overlords are scribing.
Manu Sporny: There it is.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> Done
Dmitri Zagidulin: Yeah a transcriber seems to be working okay all right so let me share screen and we will get started.

Topic: IP Note

Topic: Call Notes

Dmitri Zagidulin: All right size for minutes passed so welcome everyone to the verifiable credentials in education task force part of the credentials w3c credentials community group let's call is being recorded this these meetings are generally IPR protected which means if you're not a member of the credentials community group please let us know will direct you to where it's sign up the policy is if you're to make any.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Substantial contributions to the specs.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Then you need to have signed a PR agreement but this week we're going to do a sort of retrospective at recap of the air and I'm going to talk about some of the things going to do in this new year I'll let's let's start with introductions reintroductions and Community announcements look is there anyone that knew you all would like Miriam.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Excellent welcome Morgan with digital bizarre Brent.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> hearing a lot of static
<julie_keane> I am too!
Dmitri Zagidulin: Is no worries.

Topic: Introductions & Reintroductions

Brent Shambaugh: Oh I guess I was on mute so I had my hand out okay yeah I'm friends and my from well I'm independent but I in this community I probably worked over at the death with interrupt group right now.
Brent Shambaugh: Hopefully Daniel yeah.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Excellent welcome Brent.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> better now
Dmitri Zagidulin: All right side with anybody else wants to do introductions reintroductions raise your hand or just a mute and go ahead.

Topic: Announcements & Reminders

Dmitri Zagidulin: All right any Community announcements.
Dmitri Zagidulin: So I know we've got I know kolia has a couple of community events coming up.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Collin go ahead.
Colin_Reynolds,_Ed_Design_Lab: Hey good morning I'm supporting a project with the T3 Network and US chamber and a Design Lab that is called experience you or we're looking at using AI to support taking unstructured learner and experience data and putting it in a structured formats for Ellie ours and we have our kickoff event coming up in just over two weeks so I'll put a link to the.
Colin_Reynolds,_Ed_Design_Lab: chat or in the chat for that event.
Colin_Reynolds,_Ed_Design_Lab: To register but I would love to have people come out and we'll be putting out a little bit of an overview and project call with that as well but I'll put the link in the chat for more info or if you have any questions feel free to shoot me an email.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Please do thank you.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Let's see I think of Mana was next.
<colin_reynolds,_ed_design_lab> Experience You Kickoff Event registration:
Manu Sporny: Yes a Dimitri just a quick heads up everyone just a technical update status list 20 21 this is the thing that lets you revoke credentials or suspend credentials has been migrated to the verifiable credentials working group as official standards track deliverable that's good news we expect it's probably going to take another 18 months or so to get to.
Manu Sporny: Final standard but if.
<phil_l_(p1)> @Colin - thanks for announcing that!
<colin_reynolds,_ed_design_lab> If you have questions or want to connect about the project prior to our kickoff, please reach out:
Manu Sporny: You weren't paying attention please do pay attention to that spec now because whatever is in there is going to end up becoming a standard so if you need changes modifications Now's the Time to raise issues on the specification it is now under the control of the verifiable credential working group I put a link to the spec in IRC there is a link to the GitHub issue tracker so if you have issues with the spec please.
Manu Sporny: He's raised them there that's it.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Thank you so much Mana this and for those of you who are not familiar with the spec it is one of the small handful of credential revocation mechanisms that has aspect currently it's something we're using in the video we see edge of group something we've discussed briefly in previous calls something we're using at digital credentials Consortium so please take a look.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Your next stop.
Dmitri Zagidulin: We can go ahead.
<colin_reynolds,_ed_design_lab> @Phil - of course! I have a feeling this group will be curious about the project and outcomes :-)
<naomi> Happy New Year! Had some tech/sound issues, but hearing now :) - Naomi (Velocity)
Kaliya Young: Great um so there's two things well actually maybe three but um coming up March 1 2 3 I'm working with Heidi who helps me run iaw and local Partners to put on the aipac digital identity unconference in Thailand.
Kaliya Young: Just like IW it's open space technology so it's you know that's its own challenge of explaining how that works to people with the agenda co-created live the day of the event that hopefully we can attract enough folks from the region so if you know anybody in a pack that is always sad that can't come to I had W because it's too far away and too expensive to get to this is an opportunity to connect with folks working on digital identity regionally.
Kaliya Young: And also putting on something called the thoughtful Biometrics Workshop happening March 14 to 17 it's a virtual unconference focused on really supporting communities who don't really talk to each other about Biometrics doing so including folks like us who work on digital identity that sort of sometimes touches Biometrics but doesn't.
Kaliya Young: It's not the center of what we.
Kaliya Young: Um and IW registration is open I W is the main global forum for things internet identity except ra and that's coming up April 18 to 20th in Mountain View California thanks.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Thank you so much Kelly I'm looking forward to it and on and go ahead.
Manu Sporny: Yeah one other kind of request from the community so I mentioned that status list 20 21 that's transitioned into the verifiable credentials working group the other thing that we're trying to transition into the working group are crypto sweets specifically the Crypt of sweets that we used in the jobs for the future to plugfest namely the Edwards curve crypto sweet ed2 5519 signature 2020.
Manu Sporny: And there were 17 to.
Manu Sporny: And T organizations that used this crypto sweet to demonstrate interoperability right before Thanksgiving we had a call to pull it into the verifiable credentials working group in the call failed and it failed because Microsoft objected to moving it in their claim was that no one was really using the crypto sweet so that's not true clearly you know we have data from jobs for the.
Manu Sporny: As showing at least 17 to 20 people using the crypto sweet so we have to now go out and get documentation that people are actually using this crypto sweet so I will be sending an email out to a number of you that have implemented this crypto sweet to document that people have implemented it we have demonstrated real interop using the crypto sweet so that it can be pulled into the working group into the verifying.
Manu Sporny: Credentials working group.
Manu Sporny: An official standards track deliverable that's it.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> A write-up about Plugfest (with the numbers Manu mentioned)
Dmitri Zagidulin: Awesome thank you so much Manu.
Dmitri Zagidulin: All right so I think that's I think that's everyone so let's let's get into our year ah thank you Monica or thank you Simone a pasting the link in Chad's to the write-up about the plugfest that have been mentioned see Naomi you're no longer on the queue.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Go ahead and add me.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Oh no problem.
Naomi: Bear and Demetria sisters General announcements for the year great I missed the intro my sound wasn't working quite right but thanks hi everyone I just wanted to make mention that velocity is actually kicking off an education cluster beginning in February I can absolutely send around some information to everyone in this group anyone on the call and I'll just mention that velocities clusters are really around focusing on the issues of adoption and how do we drive you know greater adoption of.
Naomi: verifiable digital credentials you know in general.
Naomi: To mention that invite everyone who wants to reach out to me with for more information to reach out and I can also circulate some information that kind of gives an overview of what we're planning thanks.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Thank you and if you don't mind if you can paste in chat us some way to reach you and just quick question clusters are what like many conferences or working groups.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Perfect thank you.
Naomi: It's kind of more like a working group it's a and what I circled I'll circulate will actually explain it better but basically they're their groups of members and we want to make sure that with the education cluster specifically we're communicating with the broader ecosystem in education but basically focus on how do we drive adoption so that's really what the focus is.

Topic: Review topics from 2022 including use cases, Open Badges 3.0, Plugfests, and community demos. Bring your thoughts about what the task force should focus on in 2023.

Dmitri Zagidulin: All right I think that's everyone so let's let's do a quick retrospective I'm going to share screen and.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> will do
Dmitri Zagidulin: I don't have a good way to monitor chat so please feel free to speak up or Simona if you can monitor chat and just let me know everyone feel free to ask questions as we go.
Dmitri Zagidulin: All right so sharing screen.
<naomi> Hi, my contact is; feel free to reach out re. Education Cluster (exploration to begin in February)
Dmitri Zagidulin: Okay hopefully everybody can see it infinitely in full screen mode all right yeah so we're going to talk about some of the very fabric credentials and education initiatives that this group has been focusing on some of the standards that we've discussed on the calls or and or have a hand in developing talk about some Community Showcase and upcoming challenges and some preview items for 2023 and of course as always wear.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Really eager to hear from the community about.
Dmitri Zagidulin: There are projects that you're working on energy in the intersection of Education verifiable credentials if you are kind of wallets we want to hear about it and if you run into standard sub problems or questions and would like to have a call around it please reach out to one of the chairs which is Cary Illinois Simona and myself.
Dmitri Zagidulin: I thought talk about something.
Dmitri Zagidulin: As much as possible we try to focus the conversation in the vcg working group the task force rather on these calls around the use cases so this is a document we've all been working on for a while and especially carrying the boy Donald a lot of work and a lot of heavy lifting on these use cases including user roles and needs and tasks so everybody please feel free to take a look at the document.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Give us feedback.
Dmitri Zagidulin: About it and we'll be coming back to the document in future calls one of the incredible experiences in 2022 was a series of interoperability plug fests held by the jobs of the Future Foundation by very very own Sharon Lou and and everybody else that actually let me I think Sharon's on the call so sharing dude.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Do what I say just a couple of words of.
Dmitri Zagidulin: What the plugfest swear for those just coming in are unfamiliar with it.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Yeah yeah yeah.
<colin_reynolds,_ed_design_lab> and she passed!
Sharon Leu: The test of your bun pay attention to you to make you a happy New Year everyone so 2020 was to was fun and we had an opportunity to estimate reset hosts a number of podcasts and I think that our main goal at jmf is to connect the existence of digital credentials to opportunities for advancement and in order for that to happen there needs to be all of the three sort of components of.
Sharon Leu: Of this VC triangle which is a credential.
Sharon Leu: It's helped by someone and it's used by someone else and so we have been sort of chugging through those things by actually I guess that's creating some incentives and the structure around which all of you who are deeply involved in not only the development of the standard itself but also the implementation in a various a variety of products to be able to say like Yes actually this works the way that we wrote it out in the spec to do and so we first looked at the credential itself.
Sharon Leu: Elf as a verifiable credentials like open badges as.
Sharon Leu: And then the issuing to a variety of wallets and receiving as well as from a variety of credential issuers and I think looking into this year we're exploring a number of different formats than to connect it with the third thing which is a verification and more than green check mark the actual utility of the digital credential itself so stay tuned for some details and I think we'll have an opportunity at a later time to discuss what we think is you know are some options.
Sharon Leu: For how to pursue this.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Thank you so much Sharon perfect so for those of you unfamiliar with just the general concept of a plugfest it is incredibly important in this ecosystem and it's part of the reason why we were very eager to get involved and help Sharon and her team out anyway we were on a lot of Standards which is fantastic but as I think as everybody who's ever worked with or led development team knows that it's even though their standards and wallets.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Verifiers are implementing to a specification.
Dmitri Zagidulin: You can't you can't make any statements of confidence about verifiability until you actually fire it up and pass some credentials from wallet wallet or from issuer to a wallet and it has been incredibly educational and a lot of a lot of friction a lot of let's just say a lot of development teams had read verify credentials back and all of the number of cryptography sweets and protocols and all of the.
Dmitri Zagidulin: The sort of.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Asians around everything that we're talking about this past year and there's been a lot of theories development and just incredible successes from the from the plugfest like we for for the first time in the educational Community specifically and in such a wide variety of wallets from web-based and Native mobile apps server-side and client-side we saw.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Saw credentials even in simpler terms.
<naomi> *And to better explain "Cluster": Cluster is Velocity Network Foundation's term for facilitated groups of Members interested in driving adoption in a particular sector/geography, but the scope of work is really determined by the participating Members... its about planning, information-sharing, forming partnerships, aiding implementations, and we anticipate a few events to educate, for the Ed Cluster, specifically, I'd like ties to the greater ecosystem, but all that is TBD... it begins with our exploratory meetings, so will share some information so everyone can consider joining us.
Dmitri Zagidulin: As usual stuff that looked really easy in the demos hides so much development activity and heavy lifting in the background so anyways highly take a look I highly encourage everyone to take a look at the black vest themselves the demo videos at the retrospective blog posts that some people have posted and if you are involved in implementing their 50 credentials in education anyway either as a wallet.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Ella per employee.
<sharon_leu> Reach out anytime:
Dmitri Zagidulin: Issuer or verifier highly encourage you to get involved in the next plugfest those pluck system of three that is coming up sometime this year so stay tuned or reach out to Sharon for details so just as a last couple of details plugfest number one was a we decided to start out with a real easy problem which is credential display.
Dmitri Zagidulin: If you somehow get.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Can everyone display an open badges version 3 formatted verifiable credential in recognizable ways so we had a number of required Fields just really basic stuff who's the issuer the name of the credential the achievement and can we just see some credentials up on people's wallets.
<manu_sporny> Sharon, estimated start date for Plugfest 3? :) -- I'll put myself on queue to ask.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Number two had focused on issuing and so we put together a cohort of a bunch of issuers and a bunch of wallets and each implementer had to work with two different pieces of software so if your wallet you have to work with two different issuers if you want to share to do two different Wallace that were not your own so again that was a lot of exercising of credentials and we.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Not know in the the tribal credential space they're currently three different sort of broad camps of specifications of how do you pass how do you issue while it's in the credentials so we have the proper credentials API and credential Handler API camp we have the open it you connect family of specifications and we have the did conversion to family specification so and then within each each camp.
Dmitri Zagidulin: We're demonstrating interoperability between them.
<sharon_leu> @Manu - hope to kick it off Q1, but now details yet. some of this depends on what is the point of interop we settle on.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Talk about some of the standards that we've been focused on in this past year the there's been a lot of activity and a lot of heavy lifting in standardizing the data model of the credential envelope so the open badges line of specifications is one of the one of the oldest running.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Project and specifications in this community there's been a lot of open badges issued a lot of universities have been issuing open badges version 1 and 2 credentials so big existing ecosystem and fairly recently IMS Global which is now one edtech a another standards body.
<nate_otto_(he/him)> I think the 1EdTech CLR "Candidate Final Public" will be published within a couple days. Staff have the "all clear", but maybe don't have the publication location ready yet.
Dmitri Zagidulin: I decided to update the open badges specification to version 3 to use the w3c verifiable credential data model for the envelope so open badges are OBD three as we refer to them he is takes the w3c verifiable credential envelope and provide some more constraints about what goes inside the envelope it defines number of fields number of.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Of achievements.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Things like horses what sometimes referred to as micro credentials so there's a lot of lot of fields on a lot of definitions about specifically the payload of the credentials and education space so we think this is a very important spec in the space that everybody should be familiar with.
Dmitri Zagidulin: So as.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> OB3 and CLR2 include CTDL terms for achievement types
Dmitri Zagidulin: Is please check out the spec if you're familiar with something reach out to the chairs and will refer to you will refer you to people to reach out add one edtech at the actual working group that is working on this so if open badges has to do with a single credential CLR 2.0 comprehensive learner record has to do with collections of credentials so.
Dmitri Zagidulin: So these are.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> this connects the credentials w/ semantic interoperability for the meaning of the achievements
Dmitri Zagidulin: 2002 10 A comprehensive record of Learners career so these are your transcripts or your entire educational career so multiple transcripts all the courses that you've taken achievements papers so it's a definitely a kitchen sink sort of standard and as we're going to talk about in upcoming slides it is a slightly different data model and slightly different approach to.
Dmitri Zagidulin: To transcripts.
Dmitri Zagidulin: And learner records then then what the European Union is taking with their EBS I initiative or AB c-- so one of the one of the things we hope to do in this coming year is to highlight the similarities and differences in approaches that Europe and the more sort of North America Centric.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Lar 2.0 standard that's emerging but anyways so after a lot of work on open badges version 3 and and it got a chance to be exercised a bit in jmf plug fests as well as the work is he wanted Tech working groups the.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Will be.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Went out for.
Dmitri Zagidulin: I forget what the exact terminology wanted Tech uses but basically for Community input and testing so the spec is almost ready candidate release that's says right there so encourage everyone take a glance through the specs if you're developing credentials in education.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Feel free.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Use the Json schema and the contacts that comes with it take a look at some of the.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Conformance testing that wanna deck provides and is always reach out to us with any questions.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Yeah so you're just real quick there's going to be one of the.
Dmitri Zagidulin: One of the small handful of key data model standards around which we see the educational that proper credentials space sort of rallying around this and the Eds I series of specifications.
Dmitri Zagidulin: All right so let's talk about some of the standards related calls that we have this year we had a dids 101 call in the summer of last year and I'm gonna be slate sending out the slide deck for this to the mailing list so that you can read through the transcript and listen to the recordings and look at the slides if there's a topic that you missed and that you're interested in so we had the EBS I.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Folks common present on.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Did I've seen methods version 1 and 2 as well as the issuer trust model.
Dmitri Zagidulin: And I'm going to come back to talking about issuer trust models and known verified issuers in a bit because that's also an interesting topic so yeah so European Union's an AB c-- is it's attempting to standardize around this did AB c-- standard and a number of verifiable credential data model profiles that's that's around it.
Dmitri Zagidulin: We had a number of Community show.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> Gataca, Walt.ID, EQAR shared on EBSI and Trust Models
Dmitri Zagidulin: Case calls starting with our friends at credential engine which this task force Works closely with and if Deb's on the call if you wanted to say a few words about some of the works that credential engine did this past year.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): Yeah sure thanks I also just put in the chat the the fact that ob3 and CLR to include CTL for the credential transparency description language for achievement types so that's an important piece of work that many of us did together this year other things are that we were on the the leadership team working with the.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): national governors.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): Association skills driven States Ellie our cohort there were 12 States participated in that cohort for Learning and exploration all 12 of those States expressed a strong interest in moving forward with Ellie are implementations but not all of them have the resources to do that at that time at this time seven states are moving forward actively in.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): 23 in a next phase.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): Is implementing lers at the state level so that's going to be I think a big a big push forward in this calendar year for for lers and and then a specific thing at credential engine besides our broader support for this work to specific things one is we've developed an LR action guide.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): that goes through.
<kaliya_identitywoman> can you post the link in the chat please
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): Understanding engaging analyzing implementing and sustaining the next version of that guide is coming out today and I'll put a link in the chat and the minute we also convened an Advisory Group that produced some very detailed guidance on using CDL in the alignment field of open badges.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): In conjunction with that thanks to Nate Auto were also piloting this month releasing as soon as possible a badge publishing tool that makes it easier to publish badges to the registry and to include links in the alignment field so lot of work on this front in 2022 and looking forward to really seeing a lot of this work coming into fruition and even scale and 2023.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Fantastic thank you so much Debbie and we really look forward to seeing for you to join us on another V CH you call this year and show us what the publishing tool looks like and some of the work around that.
Deb_Everhart_(Credential_Engine): Be happy to thanks.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Fantastic yeah so we we think that the sum of the databases and schemas that credential engine working groups are working on are also going to be really important to the verifiable credential education space so as always I'm going to keep saying this highly encourage everyone to read some of the documentation be familiar with the concepts so that you can.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Use a to eat enriched the data.
Dmitri Zagidulin: If I wouldn't show ecosystems.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Next up we have I so we have the topic of displaying credentials and this is going to be another Focus topic this year.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> suggest that plugfest 3 include demonstrating linked open data in CTDL in the alignments, so that the interoperability includes semantic meaning
Dmitri Zagidulin: We had paper that some of the members of this task force has been working on at this past rebooting web of trust that has to do with so how you.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> NGA LER cohort
Dmitri Zagidulin: How do you specify rendering and display hints from the issuer to any sort of software that has to deal with verifiable credentials such as wallets verifiers and others one of the sort of subtopics of that is okay so we have these verifiable these digital verifiable credentials but what happens when they need to be printed out on paper and what happens when what's the best ways to.
Dmitri Zagidulin: To send it around.
Dmitri Zagidulin: I'll for actors that are the just don't have that are not familiar with verify the credentials that don't have verifier and wallet software available or even know what that is and so one of the things that we talked about that I think James Short Round And and his team over at Masters University.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> LER action guide (this is the content to be published as a new version later today)
Dmitri Zagidulin: Discussed on the call is what are some of the ways that we can use PDFs.
Dmitri Zagidulin: To transfer credentials around tractors unfamiliar with the ecosystem that's still usable right so everybody knows how to email or send PDFs in general and every knows how to print them out the interesting use case that McMasters students have used is using verifiable credentials as on On the Border meaning if your student entering into Canada you have to present for certain types of visas you have to present proof of your.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Your acceptance to the university.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> Badge publishing guidance (using CTDL for alignments)
Dmitri Zagidulin: Canada and Sonic Masters was using verifiable credentials printed out as PDFs in a format that is a random Border guard unfamiliar with their fiber credentials can still use and verify so they're they're doing an interesting implementation where not only is the are the Prudential Fields sort of printed out as a traditional letter or form onto a piece of paper but they also embed QR code that can be.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Be verified with any sort of QR code scanner.
Dmitri Zagidulin: That goes to a verifier software hosted by Masters anyways really interesting topic and we'll be coming back to it for another round of discussions as the standard ways of doing this start to firm up.
<kaliya_identitywoman> QR Codes on paper are VERY dangerous - they are entirely copiable - we are not taking this into account -
Dmitri Zagidulin: We had a presentation from one of our community members do Walla who are doing really interesting things in Africa and Europe with regards to credential wallets.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> credential and skill transparency overview
Dmitri Zagidulin: How heard from velocity now look foundation and some of the work they're working on I believe that's what further clusters and working groups is what Naomi mentioned our early on this call.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Number of conversation about credential status meaning how do you revoke credentials if verifier knows that the digitally the digital signature is okay and the credentials not expired and all the business rules check out how do you know that whatever credential has not been revoked by the issuer and this is one of the specs from that conversation are are about which we talked about is the.
Dmitri Zagidulin: VC status list 2021.
Dmitri Zagidulin: The beginning of the call that is now been taken up by the verifiable credentials 2.0 working groups so more more work on standardizing that is going to be happening this year so very important topic of revocation for us we had a number of sort of retrospectives of workshops that the community has held this year including internet identity Workshop that clear.
<davidc> I raised this revocation topic on the spec in December
Dmitri Zagidulin: Mentioned early on this call that is coming up in April as well as rebooting web of trust paper writing Workshop some of the topics that we discussed in more detail the challenges that implementers are around educational space so I've been coming up against is of course the topic of Internet internationalization we have a lot of companies not just from the US but from Europe and Asia Pacific and I'll.
Dmitri Zagidulin: A lot of them are simply legally required to support multiple.
Dmitri Zagidulin: In their credential so how how do we make that happen so we talked about the difference between localization and internationalization we talked about what the provisions that the verifiable credential data model spec offers in terms of translation internationalization talk about some of the challenges and some of the solutions in the space so this is an sort of Evergreen topic that we may want to touch on again in this coming year.
Dmitri Zagidulin: There's an issue.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Duplicate credentials which is not something that I've really thought about until I got involved in Hands-On development of an actual wallet and so we had very practical questions from users of okay I have already have a credential in here but if I scan this QR code I got another one that's exactly the same and shoot it appear twice on the list should I be given a prompt that's like hey you already have this credential.
Dmitri Zagidulin: But there was a.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Good Falafel discussion of so what does it actually mean to have two instances of a credential that are the same and like what if their identity the same or what if they're the same except for the issuance date or the expiration date so a lot of interesting like low-level detail conversation happening around that and eats.
Dmitri Zagidulin: It's fascinating to me to see.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Different approaches that wallets take around that some that allow.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Duplicate credentials some flag them as an error some presented as a choice to the user and so on.
Dmitri Zagidulin: We had a great discussion there is a long thread on the larger credentials community group around the opening to connect family of specs and their applications to wallets and there's a long and heated thread by a lot of a lot of actors in the community talking about it and so we had just sort of an explanation an explainer call around it here on VC in the VC Edgewood.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Task force where we tried to.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Explain some of the controversy and some of the some of the points are being presented by both sides and what's interesting is that a lot of changes in the specifications I've come from from that discussion in the to the opening to connect family of specs so for example the requirements for client registration in order to be four walls to be used with verifiable credential have been.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Have been made optional.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Open it you can expects and this discussion highlighted The crucial importance on the topic of wallet selection.
Dmitri Zagidulin: In in verifiable credential both EMD education space but really in the DC space in general which is the moment one of the things holding us all back in wallets is the lack of a wallet selection mechanism which leads to either a screen full of buttons like issued to the DCCC wallet and issue to the digital bizarre wallet and issue to such and such wallet so either we have that what's known as a mask our.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Mm or we find.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Action mechanism such as the credential Handler bi Wala chooser.
Dmitri Zagidulin: So and while selection is something that again we've seen progress in the community some hopeful progress in terms of example the Google Chrome team is doing some work on potentially integrating while its election in their up-and-coming fed CM specification that's being built into the browser's we've had a number of conversations with the FED CM community in terms of how they.
Dmitri Zagidulin: They can use the or how they can work.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Choppy credential Handler API wallet Chooser there's also a great presentation at this past IW from the from Fido to Alliance and and about fighter web Keys sorry web passes.
Dmitri Zagidulin: And how that interplay is with wallet selection so again.
Dmitri Zagidulin: I'll need to connect with wallets and specifically while selection is going to be another huge topic for the Slime Cup coming year.
Dmitri Zagidulin: I will.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Number of president conversations about the intersection of their fabric credentials and the sort of broader web 3.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Tag or means that if you will which generally is taken to mean blockchains and a Nifty is and some of the.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Summer Technologies from that community so we had a great presentation from disco XYZ walking us through some of the bridge building that is happening in that space similarly on a similar topic.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Three slash web five we had a another conversation on.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Soulbound tokens on how how that intersects with this intersects with decentralized identifiers and verifiable credentials what the what those things actually mean and whether it's useful set of tools for our community had a presentation from get coin passport again sort of in the blockchain cryptocurrency space but also potentially really useful in.
Dmitri Zagidulin: So what are what are some of the things that will be focusing on in 2023 what do we have to look forward to so we're going to continue our conversations on topics and use cases we.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Continue sort of Community Education on some of the standard emerging standards apis stumbling blocks what are the challenges in onboarding new students and new.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Organizations in the education ecosystem look forward to a lot of demos more announcements of community events and workshops and more in-depth conversation.
Dmitri Zagidulin: I including just just to give a sneak preview as I mentioned credential display progress in verifiable credential revocation report outs on the work that the VC 2.0 working group is doing the discussions on credential chaining and cryptographic linking of credential of separate credentials together.
<phil_l_(p1)> Topic for 2023 - APIs to wallets to add services to it.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Work in the obv three and CLR to it I do groups and much more so I think that that concludes the prepared slides I'd love to hear from the community questions topic suggestions that sort of thing how is our house like you doing here on of go ahead.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> Well noted, P1 !
Manu Sporny: This this question that that was great Dimitri thank you for the year in review it was great to see so many good things happen last year and its really feel set us up to do even greater things this year I have two questions the first one is to share in lieu around the jmf plugfest number three in anyone else like you Dimitri or as ammonia.
Manu Sporny: Carry that might be.
<naomi> *Great question! Would love an early scope!
Manu Sporny: Planning it do we have a timeline or a road map yet or are we still trying to figure out you know when when that's going to start and then the second question is what's the plugfest going to be about my you know are my personal expectation was verification like okay we've issued these credentials into people's digital wallets we've got a demonstration of all these wallets that are now holding these credentials how do we then deliver those for.
Manu Sporny: To be verified at a verifier you know site do we have any.
Manu Sporny: Further thoughts on what podcast three is going to focus on.
Sharon Leu: Okay I'll jump in quickly and say I have I feel like we have not made a decision on this but we would love to have I think more extensive consultation before we do this because I think even though it's true that issuance of credentials could have been anything I feel like we sort of struck on the right point of interoperability on that but it's like verification and I think in the a lot of the edgy use cases document you'll see that like relying on.
Sharon Leu: Parties are also.
Sharon Leu: Fication process as well and I think that we haven't come to like there are a lot of really good ideas for what we could what could be the point of interoperability but I think that I want to spend the next the rest of this month doing some consultations with this group in with individuals and you know other people to really decide on what is the point of interoperability because I think that will determine both the partners that we need to begin.
Sharon Leu: Lee recruiting as well as the level of.
Sharon Leu: And that will again lead to like how much time should we allocate towards us so I think that the answer to your question is I don't know yet but we hope to kick it off sometime in the first quarter for work maybe for the next couple of quarters after that that's the rough timeline that I feel like is the best I can offer you at this point except to say that please do reach out to me because I want to talk to everyone about this like where we think are key leverage points and.
Sharon Leu: Etc things.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> I'd be happy to be included in the discussion
<phil_l_(p1)> Topic for 2023: when is a new data model needed and design guidance for them
Sharon Leu: And I think that maybe we've sort of low-key discussed having a group call on one of these Monday meetings to really run through that once we have a better sense of it so sorry for the non answer.
<manu_sporny> "We don't know yet" is a perfectly fine answer.
<manu_sporny> I was definitely hoping it wasn't: "We start in 1 week!"
Dmitri Zagidulin: Thank you so much thanks Sharon and Deb and everyone else in chat will definitely put out a call here in the VC edu group for those interested in in the conversation of those interested in helping plan the next iteration of the plugfest Marty I believe.
<phil_l_(p1)> (that is, for education and training focused data models)
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> semantic interoperability could at least be "extra credit" :-)
Marty Reed: Thanks to me tree I did step away for just a minute so if this came up but on the putting on my digital credentials work group chair for one edtech I did get an update from one edtech just a few minutes ago as far as the CLR to candidate final public and so at the earliest I believe it'll be the end of this week that will be able to.
Marty Reed: To put that.
Marty Reed: Out there for others to check it out but for sure this month will see a CLR to Canada tunnel public out there.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Fantastic thank you so much Marty and and we'll one volunteers to come and present CLR 2.0 overview to this group here so looking at you and anybody else you can pull in.
Marty Reed: Yep go do it.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Awesome one thing I wanted to also quickly mention is our one really important upcoming topic that there was a recent paper on but also that I think we've all bumped up against in implementation is this notion of known or verified issuers the thing that we roughly refer to as trust Registries which is so I have this credential from a student.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Everything checks out.
Dmitri Zagidulin: The digital signature is fine everything looks good but who actually issued this yes we have a digital signature but is the institution who is she this what kind of accreditations does it have is it actually empowered by I don't know they're the government to issue by fellow credentials and so on so basically this notion of so great we have this infrastructure how do we identify the issuer's how do we know which issue as we trust.
Dmitri Zagidulin: This is a huge topic and so there's a number of.
<xander_-_asu/pocket> NY�
Dmitri Zagidulin: Nathan Tha specifications centered around so how do we identify issuers and verifiers and one of the one of the papers that recently Arisen and is going to be adopted as a hopefully adopted as work item in the accreditors community group is this notion of known credentials sorry known issue or lists so something that we're hoping to implement a DC and I know there's been interest from other wallet implementers so it's definitely.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> information in CTDL about organizations can provide part of the structure for transparency about issuers
Dmitri Zagidulin: Be an important topic coming.
Phil_L_(P1): Yes thank you can you hear me okay I put some things in chats for consideration for next year but I think a couple of them have to do with guidance around the design of apis for services that actually interact with wallets and in that regard the topic that was mentioned by Colin earlier in terms of using AI to facilitate.
Phil_L_(P1): eight construction of.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> including QA organizations
Phil_L_(P1): Comes to mind in the term the sense of an AI agent interacting with an individual's wallet but also Marty and I have talked also about a wallet that is able to reach out and interrogate skill credential skill credential Frameworks and competency taxonomy he's on behalf of the holder so the issue of apis for wallets and the second is more is sort of more general which is.
Phil_L_(P1): at what point what kind of guidance.
Phil_L_(P1): To be there for new training and education credentials in a sense the work that's been done by one Ed Tech has taken the general wave API excuse me the general data model for VC 1.1 and then use that as a framework for the ways you've mentioned before OB B 3 and C LR V 2 with its own context files and additional modifications but at what point does the VC 1.1 data model actually.
Phil_L_(P1): regenerate a family of additional credentials supporting.
Phil_L_(P1): Use of Education and Training and are there guidelines are constraints that we should consider around that thanks.
<phil_l_(p1)> The LinkedClaims credential comes to mind
Dmitri Zagidulin: Thanks Phil both really excellent topics yeah there's a lot of friction that we need to reduce as a community for Dev team sitting down to actually Implement education by fiber credential and the what to do with data model when to reach for existing specs and ecosystems like credential engine and when to design new ones that's definitely conversation that we'll need to have.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Anyone else.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Sigh have any comments or questions.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Eight go ahead oh I'm sorry C on its the money was next apologies Simona go ahead.
Simone_Ravaioli_(VC_EDU): Quickly given the focus that we put on bootstrapping open badges 3 with the plugfest I think it wouldn't make sense to liaise more with one attack and possibly talking about this at their digital credential Summit that is coming up and the February I don't see any.
Simone_Ravaioli_(VC_EDU): trace of that in.
<sharon_leu> Simone - I'm working on a session with Marty.
Simone_Ravaioli_(VC_EDU): I'm so we can take this offline with whoever is interested and more generally I think just continuing to Foster the adoption of this new version of the spec which is radically different and it's inflection point would be important for this community and maybe this is something that will do continue to do with breakfast 32 stuff like that.
<sharon_leu> For the 1EdTech meeting.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Wonderful thank you that's a great Point Nate go ahead.
Nate_Otto_(he/him): Great thanks yeah I just wanted to thank you for a great presentation and a wonderful past year thank you Dimitri and to everyone who has contributed to this space especially in the implementation area as we know there's lots of different options for the various different layers of the tech stack for using verifiable credentials and it's fun to see the convergence on some common patterns where we can be successful for some of those options as we try and put some of our services.
Nate_Otto_(he/him): has in production.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> Great to hear Sharon ! That is covered then. Happy to be involved if needed.
Nate_Otto_(he/him): Them it's going to be essential to work together in this new year through plugfest through conferences like what Simone I just mentioned plus 12 that and through direct collaboration between different developers and vendors so looking forward to a great year of working with you all figuring out what the successful patterns are for our users to be able to get credentials into their wallets and from their wallets to the places where they will make a difference in their lives one other point of collaboration.
Nate_Otto_(he/him): that I'm working on right now is the one Ed Tech implementation.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> Thanks Nate !
Nate_Otto_(he/him): The open badges three nclr aspects this is open for comment on one at X get Hub and would love some comments and their thanks shout out to Jen who put in some great comments just a couple days ago we can keep working together on documentation a but maybe even more importantly on actual implementations.
Dmitri Zagidulin: Thank you so much Nate and thank you for all your help this past year and looking forward to collaborating.
<phil_l_(p1)> Link to that guide Nate?
Dmitri Zagidulin: All right so we have just a couple minutes left till the top of the hour once again welcome everyone oh yeah Nate if you can paste a link in the chat to that implementation guide yeah so happy New Year everyone we have a lot of interesting topics up-and-coming lot of work to do in the education space looking forward looking forward to working with you all thanks all.
Dmitri Zagidulin: And there's the link to.
<sharon_leu> 2023 is going to be fun!
<colin_reynolds,_ed_design_lab> Thanks all! Happy New Year!
Dmitri Zagidulin: Guide in the chat and I'll send out these slides.
<simone_ravaioli_(vc_edu)> Thank you Dimitri !!!
<naomi> Thank you!
Dmitri Zagidulin: Oh Monica had real quick oh I see I see I see thanks bile.
<deb_everhart_(credential_engine)> Happy New Year!
<julie_keane> See all soon